Today’s world is far too complex to understand in terms of linear, either/or thinking. Emotionally intelligent leaders are able to hold tension in complex situations–to let go of binary thinking and experience the power of “AND.”
Have you ever . . .
- felt more than one feeling at the same time?
- seen more than one perspective at once?
- held competing values without giving up either?
- felt the tension of seemingly contradictory ideas that are both true?
If so, you have experienced the power of “AND.”
The ability to hold tension helps us to lead at higher levels, avoid thinking errors, solve intractable problems, have better relationships and improve our emotional health. Learn to harness the power of “AND.”
- Emotionally intelligent leaders are able to hold tension in complex situations and experience the power of “And.”
- We hold tension when we hold on to multiple perspectives at the same time.
- Examples of the power of holding tension, the power of “And,” when new and creative solutions emerge
- Real life practice for holding tension as a skill
- Managing cognitive dissonance
- The Naked Now, by Richard Rohr
Thank you for listening. If you enjoy listening to The Leader’s Journey Podcast, the best way to support us is to take just a few seconds and leave a rating and/or comment over on iTunes or share it with your friends on Facebook … Thank you!