In this episode, we explore how trustworthy and transformative leaders carefully balance authority and vulnerability to create space for flourishing.
In this series, we are exploring the inherent connection between leadership and power. We hope to help leaders better understand the dynamics of power in their organizations and in themselves and develop some principles and practices that help them use their own power wisely.
You can check out the other episodes in this series here:
- Power Dynamics for Trustworthy and Transformative Leaders
- Power Dynamics and Conflict: A conversation for trustworthy and transformative leaders
- The Balance of Power: How trustworthy and transformative leaders balance authority and vulnerability creating space for flourishing
- Using and Sharing Power to Create a More Just and Equitable Community
- What comes to mind when you think about authority?
- What comes to mind when you think about vulnerability?
- The vulnerability to tell the truth
- Having conviction and humility
- The importance of loving the people that we serve
- What might it look like to be out of balance?
- Listener question: what do forgiveness and reconciliation look like when we’re thinking about using power wisely?
- The skill of holding tension
- When is the right place and who are the right people to be vulnerable with?
- How can we learn to balance authority and vulnerability, to hold the tension?
Resources & Links:
- When Narcissism Comes to Church: Healing Your Community From Emotional and Spiritual Abuse by Chuck DeGroat
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. by Brene Brown
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Strong and Weak: Embracing a Life of Love, Risk and True Flourishing by Andy Crouch
- Dr. James Furr
- Psalm 8
- Aspen Group